1. Complete the Autism Nova Scotia Student Placement Application
If you are interested in completing your student placement with Autism Nova Scotia, please complete this application.
- This application takes about 10-15 minutes to complete.
- Once completed the application will be sent directly to our Program Director. They will be in contact with you in 5-7 business days.
- There is no option to save and return later once the application is started.
*Applications are reviewed on a first-come-first-serve basis.
2. Attend Student Placement Interview
Autism Nova Scotia's Program Director reviews all Student Applications and connects with all student to arrange an interview.
Interviews are held at Autism Nova Scotia (5945 Spring Garden Road, Halifax) at a time that works best for the student and Program Director. The interview typically takes 30 minutes.
This interview is to help the Program Director gain an understanding of the student’s background, interests and future career plans. This supports the Program Director in deciding if ANS is able to offer a placement applicable to the student’s program recruitments.
*Students are asked to bring their school’s placement package and a resume to this interview.
3. Complete Student Placement Package
All accepted students are required to complete ANS’ Student Placement Package, which includes:
- Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Check
- Child Abuse Registry Check
- Confidentiality Policy
- Conflict of Interest Policy
- Student Agreement Document
- Internet Policy
- Policies and Procedures
- Code of Professional Conduct
All students accepted students are considered “pending” until their student package is completed and returned in full. Students will not be allowed to start their placements until all the documents have been provided.
4. Attend Mandatory Student Placement Training
All students and volunteers are required to attend ANS’ Program Training session. This training is typically three hours long and provides students with best-practice strategies for supporting people with autism.
Dates, times and location for the training will be provided to students once they have been accepted.
5. Placement Begins
ANS provides ongoing continued supervision for students throughout the duration of their placement. Supervisors and program leads encourage and supports students during their placement to gradually build independence in their student placement role.
If you are looking for more information regarding a student placement with Autism Nova Scotia please contact:
Yevonne Le Lacheur
Looking for placements with Autism Nova Scotia outside of Halifax?
Connect with one of our Chapter Coordinators: Download Contacts List